Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Prompt 16

Prompt #16

Select your favorite passage from Chapter 2 in The Bhagavad Gita. Retype it on your blog; then, explain it in your own words. Write a paragraph or two about why it speaks to you and how it could be relevant to your own life.

My favorite passage in Chapter 2 is "When the mind constantly runs after the wandering senses, it drives away wisdom, like the wind blowing a ship off course." This quote completely resonates with me because I get distracted very easily and it always gets the best of me. From homework to chores to my social life, I'm always finding distractions to get myself out of situations I don't want to be in. At the end it takes up the valuable time I should of used. A more healthy distraction I've recently taken up is painting. When I feel my mind is racing so much that I cannot do any work I work on my art which helps settle my thoughts unlike facebook or finding new music online. It's common that I will make excuses for myself at the end of the night if I don't finish my work. I always feel guilty about it later and that some form of karma will catch up with me. It's a battle I commonly struggle with. The karma that catches up with me is the results of my action- if I don't complete my homework, I don't get the practice I need and without putting time into practice I'm setting myself up for failure.

1 comment:

  1. i feel a connection because i chose the same quote and feel the same way. Instead of art, i find my salvation in making new music or playin video games. They take my mind off of a million thoughts and focus them into one.

    ReplyDelete