Monday, September 20, 2010

Prompt 8


Reread Richard from Texas' comment to Elizabeth Gilbert on the top of page 178 to the end of that chapter. Then, explain what he means in your own words and, just as Gilbert does, go into detail explaining a way that you can start to take control of your thoughts.


Taking control of you're thoughts is one of the most powerful things a human can do because as the book states, "your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts and you are the slave to your emotions." My day to day decisions rely heavily on my current emotions. Having control of your thoughts means you can control yourself resulting in better decision making and a happier life in general. This quote in particular stuck with me this weekend. When I had a negative thought I tried dismissing it, but it's hard to trash a thought without understanding where its generated from. The main way I am able to shrug of negative voices in my head is understanding where they are rooted from-as the book states "understanding where it came from and why they arrived and then with great forgiveness and fortitude dismissing them." Sometimes the thoughts will come back to my head, but knowing the situation front and back helps me erase it from my mind when I don't want to think about it. When I- or anyone else- does not understand a bad situation that sticks with them, we keep asking ourselves the same question, "what if?" When the "what if" is understood, their is nothing left to question and the thought is easily replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment